- firstly remove the gobi/cauliflower florets. wash them in running water.
- then boil 2.5 to 3 cups of water in a pan with salt. close the burner.
- add the gobi/cauliflower florets in the salted warm water and keep covered for 15-20 minutes.
- peel and dice the potatoes.
- make a smooth paste in a blender with the onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. no need to add water while making the paste.
- heat oil in a pan or kadai. add the ground paste and stir.
- be careful as it splutters when you add it to the oil.
- add all the spice powders one by one.
- fry till the oil leaves the sides of the masala paste.
- continue frying till the whole masala, comes together and changes color with oil leaving the sides.
- add the chopped cauliflower and potatoes. stir.
- then add water, salt and stir.
- cover and cook till the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked and tender.
- check a couple of times. if the water dries up too much whilst cooking, then add some more water.
- lastly add crushed kasuri methi and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- stir in chopped coriander leaves or garnish.
serve aloo gobi hot with rotis, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.